Sunday, March 28, 2010

Third Apple Only!


There's a popular metaphor for study abroad experience that for some reason, labels the phases of adjustment to a foreign country as the First, Second and Third Apples. First Apple is the initial phase of excitement, adrenaline, and love for the new place. Second Apple is the queasy, not-so-sure phase, where Spanish becomes the ugliest language in the world, all the food tastes disgusting and all the boys are creepy.

The Third Apple is the compromise, the phase where everything seems manageable, though slightly different. Thanks to God, mucho financial support from my parents, god-parents, aunts, grandparents, and my own hard work, I've had the opportunity to travel to 13 countries. Therefore, I truly feel like I've only had Third Apple feelings while I've been here. Hopefully this attitude of compromise and tolerance for all things slightly different can help me support my fellow american-study-abroaders who are in the Second Apple phase and also my fellow Americans who don't always share this attitude of tolerance.

Speaking of America--me and the gang went to AmeriKa, a boliche (club) that recently had its last foam party. Yes, I said foam and I mean bubbly, wet, soapy foam poured on top of the dancing crowd. Check it out:Below is the definition of Argentine hair fashion for teenage boys. I can't express the amount of disappointment we all get when we see an attractive Argentino pass us by, and reveal his rat tail. They come in all shapes and sizes, sometimes braids, dred locks, died different colors, or in this case, just an added extension. All I have to say is ¿POR QUE ARGENTINA, POR QUE?!!!

Here I am in the action.

This is the aftermath. Sylvie and I were eaten by the foam. Needless to say, the Taxi drivers weren't pleased.
I did do other things this weekend, like buy a cute necklace at the Belgrano artesan market and go to church in Belgrano...outside! It was Palm Sunday, so it was really awesome to be somewhat in nature with everyone holding up their palms and praying together. I couldn't make a palm cross--my typical Palm Sunday tradition, because the palms or "ramos" that I bought from the people selling them, was an actually olive branch. Olives are very popular here and automatically come on every type of pizza. I really loved the olive branch, because it was so unique to Argentina!

I can't wait to venture out to yet another beautiful part of this país, with my súper-lindo friends. I hope that I find a beautiful church in Mendoza to celebrate the rest of Semana Santa! Long live the Third Apple mentality!

3 comments:

  1. What a beautiful palm sunday mass. the lights and the olive branches add to it... the foam well?? How fun. At least your'e clean!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that you are having such new and fun times with your new friends. Anxious to hear about your Easter Sunday. Continue to enjoy! Love Nana & Papa

    ReplyDelete