Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Madre Anfitriona

I've recently been struggling with the idea of changing host mothers. Here are the reasons:

1. I eat alone every night.
2. She speaks 70% English to me, 30% Spanish. If I wanted to live with English speakers, I wouldn't have come here!
3. I went up to her oficina where she listens to her music and surfs the web to tell her about the play I saw last week, and she brushed me away as if I was being incredibly annoying.
4. Smoke: in my room, in the bathroom, in the kitchen, in my lungs.

After #3 took place, I was sort of hurt and thought about the option of switching families. Then the following happened.

1. She said how amazed she was that I didn't have a rough transition period, but instead was already so accustomed to Argentina, 6000 millas away from home. In that same moment, she asked me if I was comfortable in the house specifically, and I responded yes, because everything is great in my house, I just want to interact with her more and in a cozier, more casual way!
2. She said she liked my drawing yesterday.
3. She said she likes me because I'm always smiling and "radiant".

As long as the second list continues to grow, I'm staying right where I am. There's good and bad to every host family, one of my friends has to eat tomatoes stuffed with mayonnaise rice= DISGUSTING. Another one of my friends has to leave notes and tell her host mother when she will be getting home every night = unpractical! I think my radically political, glamourous Leo host mother sounds pretty good after hearing these stories!

2 comments:

  1. Interesting you found Pfortner. Hang in there things should get better with your host mother. Men will be men no matter where they are especially when they see someone as pretty as you. Take care Love Nana

    ReplyDelete