Wednesday, June 23, 2010

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLL

Yesterday I watched my first partida del Copa mundial, probably ever. Unless I was sitting with Grandpa when he was watching one. It was the third game Argentina has played so far, and the third one they won. I didn't watch the others because of class and the fact that one was at 8 in the morning, but I also was sort of nervous that it would remind me too much of my Grandpa.

I've recently been playing this game where I grade the old men I see on the streets according to how much they look like him. I've seen a lot of good noses and ears and slicked-back hairdos, but obviously no one will ever get an A!

Back to the game--the first half I knitted through, because it was boring and nothing happened. The second half was awesome. Messi (the star and captain of the game) was sort of slacking, but he did make this amazing shot that bounced off the pole of the goal. So crazy. Then finally this other guy made a goal and then Palermo (another famous player, and also the name of the ritzy neighborhood of BA) made a second one, when the team's morale was already pretty high. Of course they gave Palermo all the credit and didn't even interview the player who made the 1st goal! Lame!

We went to a bar in San Telmo to watch. We were lucky we got a seat, it was the second bar we went to because the first was packed. In the minutes before the game, the streets were moving at an even faster pace than normal; everyone was rushing to get to there game-watching station. I know that sports are really important to many people in the states, but I have never seen any event that EVERYONE in the country/city/neighborhood gets so excited about.

At church on Sunday the priest made a pretty crazy connection with the word "mesias" that means messiah and Messi the player. I didn't understand all his fast words around the reference, but the connection was made. I'm sure he only blasphemed a little bit.

Sunday its on: MEXICO v. ARGENTINA. I would cheer for Mexico in Grandpa's honor, but my friend said that if I value my life at all, I should not. We have no doubts that I would get attacked probably by the barra bravas (the super intense fans). So cheer for Mexico for me and Grandpa, I'll be here cheering for Messi!

No comments:

Post a Comment