Monday, February 1, 2010

Lessons from Kidspace and Elizabeth Gilbert

Last Friday, I took my boss's 4 year-old son, Peter, to Kidspace Children's Museum in Pasadena, CA. I have fond memories of going to the museum's old location, where I especially loved to play in the mini Trader Joe's supermarket and try on the firefighter and policeman uniforms. Unfortunately these attractions were not recreated at the new location, but instead there is more of a focus on nature and discovery. There are 3 huge climbers, lots of gardens, water play and exhibits centered around bugs. Personally, I was disappointed the supermarket wasn't there, but Peter simply saw Kidspace as a magical wonderland filled with adventure and things made only for his pleasure. Since he has three older sisters and is the baby of the family, he loved having a day where someone could spend their undivided attention with him and treat him as the "big kid".

He climbed, splashed, watched fish and even made friends with one of the Kidspace "Educators". Peter was a little scared of the huge climbers at first, but with a little boost of confidence from me and a little nudge of competition from the other children, he overcame his fears. I only hope that I can see Buenos Aires with similar eyes as Peter saw Kidspace--just as a magical wonderland filled with opportunity. Even though I was exhausted after the 3 and a half hours we spent there, I don't remember having such a peaceful day in a long time.

Later that night, my mom and I went to a reading and book signing event with Elizabeth Gilbert, most famously known and the author of Eat, Pray, Love. That book was so beautifully written and full of meaningful, eloquent advice, it has stayed with me since I finished almost two years ago.

Throughout the night she shared experience, knowledge and advice from her mother, poet and friends. One of the most memorable things she said was in order to keep her balance was to forgive herself for her mistakes and bad decisions today, since in the future she will have more knowledge and therefore hopefully not repeat them again. Her messages are so simple but her wisdom so great, it was an amazing night that I shared with my mom!

This is the cover of her new book, Committed, which is about how her boyfriend and her were forced to get married after he was deported from the United States. She analyzes the institution of marriage (which I have often questioned myself) and also discovers how powerful love can be. Sounds cheesy, but I think its far from it. I can't wait to open this up on the airplane to Argentina.


No comments:

Post a Comment