Thursday, February 25, 2010

Orientación y Observaciones

Hola. Estoy cansada de orientación. I want to just pick my classes and not deal with more meetings about how we shouldn't walk in parks at night or stick our fingers in electric sockets.

Some of their tips were kinda interesting and useful, I have to admit. For example, there's a method that los ladrones or the burglers use to pick-pocket you, they squirt some mustard, mayonesa, chocolate o dulce de leche on you and then some "innocent" by-stander comes and offers to "help" you clean it off. While doing so, they actually help themselves to your stuff. They said this is really common and that every year this happens to a couple of students. Once you know the trick, I guess your clothes just have to take a stain in exchange for keeping your wallet.

They also said that since the electricity here is 220 Volts, if you use appliances with wet hands or without shoes on, there is high risk of being electrocuted, and at that voltage that would be deadly!

Tonight we're getting put into our Spanish class groups, and starting our training/refresher courses tomorrow. So far we've been learning about all the different schools and what courses they offer. Its sort of overwhelming, so I'm gonna hold off on stressing out until we are able to talk to our academic advisors next week. I have talked to the assistant director about the possibility of doing an Independent Research Concentration, but we both decided that wasn't the best decision for me because I want to focus on learning as much about the theatre world as possible, while interacting with Argentineans. So I am going to take lots of theatre classes that have group outings and great teachers (so he says!).

Today I ventured onto the subte for the first time, which is the abbreviation for los subterraneos, or the subways! It was pretty much the same as NY with too many people. I went with a couple friends to another barrio called Belgrano that I hadn't been to before. (I definitely live in the nicest one!) We ate milkshakes and fries, at a ice skating rink....it was pretty random, but it was awesome.

Overall, I think the city feels the same as New York or Los Angeles, everyone just speaks spanish. I still have only been to 2 out of like 10 barrios so I really can't say much, but so far I feel super comfortable here. Unfortunately, like any city, wearing turtlenecks might help my comfort level (Nana you're right), but that's just not an option in this absolutely beautiful weather. I hope I can see the day when turtlenecks won't be necessary and women can live their lives without worried about getting grabbed or cat called.

Nevertheless, the only problems I have about the city so far is how often I see men with mullets. Didn't they get the memo that it isn't 1985? Obviously not. Also, my host mother is a chain smoker, which is kind of funny considering she eats very healthy and goes to the gym everyday. I guess it sort of balances out.

Other than that, I'm excited to start classes, to explore more of the city, and for orientation to be over. They wear us out with too many meetings! At least they are thoroughly taking care of us and introducing us to the biggest differences between our homes and Argentina. We all agreed that we were very grateful for that! ¡Necesito un descanso! ¡Adios!

1 comment:

  1. i love your blog...make sure you have a turtle neck in every color! keep writing...i think many of us are living the adventure through you! t.t.
    p.s. danilo manda saludos y que tengas cuidado con las avispas!

    ReplyDelete