Thursday, February 18, 2010

Ash Wednesday


This day has become a challenging one for me in the last couple of years. The first Ash Wednesday I spent away from home in New York was significantly traumatic. I saw people staring at my head, heard people from all directions asking me why my head was dirty and felt incredibly alone. I panicked and found consolation in my therapy appointment and explaining the ritual to my non-Catholic friends.

Last year I was a lot more comfortable with New York and myself, so it wasn't as terrible. This year it was the day that I left home for my Argentine Adventure.

All day I felt anxious and nervous--not because I was leaving and scared about what I was going to do, but because I had so many unfinished projects at home in CA. The amount of knitting and sewing I did in the last 24 hours was crazy. I finished my mom's purse (pictures to follow, once my mom takes them!), a little tooth fairy doll, the first part of my host mother's gift, and a hat for a friend. The ticking clock freaked me out because I still had so much to do in so little time: finish packing, go to the bank, church, lunch with mother, go to Abuelita's to deliver the tooth fairy and say goodbye, say goodbye to Grandma and start entering my dad's checks in the computer to make his tax filing easier.

Unfortunately the only task that I failed to do, was for the one person who supports (in more ways than one) my adventures the most, my dad. He's assured me to look forward and not look back or regret, but that's been slightly difficult for me.

Anyway, I'm in New York and so excited to be reunited with my NY family. I've missed this city, the smells, the weather, the people, and my school so much, that its been awesome being here already!

Here are some pictures of what I knitted this break...


Little Owl and bear made as samples for Abuelita's!
Pen and football made for my Nana and Papa's Birthdays.
The Tooth Fairy Doll! Also made as a sample for Abue's, the little pouch opens and you can put your tooth inside! The boy version has a skateboard that opens up!


I'm so excited for the next 3 days in NY and I can hardly wait for my porteƱa life to begin!



2 comments:

  1. you are so talented, beautiful and special in so many ways! i'm proud to be your tia tere!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, Wonderful dream. You are learning alot about where you are living from the assignments you are doing, very interesting. Thanks for sharing. Ally ran the hurdles in her first track meet and looked just like her Mother. She did very well for her first time.
    Gabby is knitting a grey blue footed bird from the Glapalos Island for her report. It is raining and cold but no complaints. Take care. Looking forward to your next entry. Love Nana & Papa

    ReplyDelete