Thursday, May 20, 2010

Saint Anthony is my homeboy

I had another blog post planned for today but that's gonna have to wait because the story of what happened to me last night is simply astounding.

I was on my way to my 4 hour lecture at UBA. It takes me about a hour to get there on the #67 bus and then on the subway. I ran out of my house a little later than normal and the bus was there as if it was waiting for me! I waved to the driver to open the door and he did. I graciously said thank you and was glad that this man let me on so that there still was a chance I would get to class on time.

The 67 went a different route than normal, because the center of the city is getting ready for the big celebrations for the Bicentenario, or the 200th anniversary of Argentina's independance next week. I had to get off the bus a good 6 blocks early than normal and walk to the subte stop. I had my little pouch/wallet type thing with my monedero (metro card) ready to use on the subte. I hopped out of the bus and frantically starting power walking to the subte stop.

After walking 5 out of the 6 blocks, I realized that I didn't have my pouch in my hand anymore and it wasn't in my purse. Great. Its getting dark, I have 15 minutes until class starts, I have no money, no monedero. I can't go to class without money, I can't go home unless I walk around 25 blocks home. The only thing I thought to do was immediately retrace my steps and send a message up to St. Anthony (Nana has luck with him, and named my dad after him, who named my brother after him--so he really is a family friend). Then I called my friend Sylvie who is so rational and calm in situations like this--she really helped a lot.

I walked back the path I had walked, then when I was about to give up and just walk home, I decided just so I could sleep that night, to walk the whole path once more. While I was searching for about 45 minutes, I saw many 67's pass. I thought that maybe if I told someone I lost my wallet they'd lend me some monedas to get home. Maybe I should give up and just walk home. I frantically stopped at a corner and checked through my purse one last time. Then I got up with dignity and started my walk home.

I passed by another #67 bus--why is it that when I'm waiting for them they take forever to come and now there are a million all around me? I noticed that the arrangement of the seats in the bus was the same as the one I had rode earlier that day, and the seat fabric looked familiar. The bus was at a red light so I motioned to the driver to let me on, and he graciously did. He looked oddly familiar. I had a feeling. I asked him if he remembered me riding this bus earlier and he said, "puede ser", which just means like "ya it could be", but obviously he didn't. Then I was like "porque perdí una cosa, mi billetera" (I lost something, my wallet) and he was like "is it this little square one?" and I was like "OMG THAT'S IT I CAN'T BELIEVE IT, ITS A MIRACLE". Literally I told him it was a milagro in spanish!

I'm thinking about writing one of my final papers about the theatricality of Buenos Aires as a whole. I am convinced that would be a perfect idea. This episode was like a very well practiced dance or scene where I planned the amount of time I retraced my steps, looked in my purse again, talked to Sylvie and I ignored all the #67's until the one I knew was the right one came. And then I took my cue and got the goods. It was timed to the second because right as he gave it back to me, the lights changed, I got off and he went on his way.

I then went to class with 3 hours to spare and the night went back to normal. People must of thought I was crazy in the subte because I couldn't stop laughing.

4 comments:

  1. It is so good to keep a close relationship with all the Saints and you definitely have a great guardian angel! My prayers have been answered! Gracias a Dios!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Un MILAGRO de verdad! Even if 'we' tried, that is 'we' humans, to time an event like finding a 'monedero' on a public city bus running up and down the streets of a huge city in South America... even if we tried, there would be the invevitalbe glitches, human errors, and unexpected interuptions! Even if we tried to make the final scene with the gorgeous Norteamericana actress sitting on the bus clutching her 'monedero' laughing like a 'loca'... we could could NOT do it!!! Solamente el poderoso Dios! Again, I KNOW and I'm happy to know, I am NOT in charge! Tia Tere

    P.S. I have a similar 'perdi mi modedero' story while living in Costa Rica. Maybe it's written into the human script more often than we think!

    ReplyDelete
  3. that's a really wonderful story, alyson.

    ReplyDelete
  4. History repeats itself. Our story is we lost a wallet with cash and travelers checks on our way to buy Papa's plane ticket to NC to visit little Granny,on his way to Germany. A Lady found it and turned it in to the bank where
    Grranny worked. We promised St. Anthony to name the baby after him if he helped us find our money,if our baby was born a boy. AuntPatti was born so when your Father was born we named him Anthony. Love your story. I have a special devotion that I am going to send you. Papa is improving slowly he goes back to the Dr Tuesday. I have been sewing all weekend with A Patti had a good time. Take care keep the Faith Love Nana

    ReplyDelete